It’s a pleasure to write this article in association with My Powai.
Going forward, I will be covering all types of cuisine. Feel free to reach out to me for clarifications or any other recipes you would like to read in the forthcoming issues.
We are celebrating Navratri and some of us are fasting. So here’s some recipes you can prepare and enjoy even during your fast.
Shakarkandi ki Kheer
- Milk full fat 1 litre
- Sweet potato skarkandhi 250 gms
- Cardamom powder – 1 tspn
- Sugar 1/4th cup
- 10 saffron strands soaked in 2 tspn milk
Almond /pista slivers for garnishing
1.Boil the sweet potato with skin on till soft
2.Make sure it does not become over cooked and mushy
3.Peel and grate
4.Take milk in a thick bottom pan and bring to a boil
5.Add the grated sweet potatoes
6.Cook till the milk reduces to half and the kheer becomes creamy and thick
7.Now add sugar, cardamom powder and saffron soaked in milk and cook for one more minute
8.Serve hot or chilled in refrigerator before serving
9.Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers
Singhare Ki Burfi
- Singhara Atta or water chestnut flour 1 cup
- Ghee 3 tspn
- Sugar ½ cup
- Water 1 n ½ cup
- Cardamom powder ½ tspn
- Raisins 1 tspn
- Sliced almonds 3 tspn
1. Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan
2. Add singhara ka atta and roast on medium heat time it becomes brown and the you get the roast aroma
3. Add sugar and water and stir well to avoid lump formation
4. Keep stirring till it leaves the sides of the pan and the ghee starts coming out.
5. Add cardamom powder, raisins, sliced almonds and keep stirring for one more minute till it becomes nice and glossy
6. Now grease a steel plate with borders with little ghee , and transfer the prepared burfi mixture in the steel plate and level it using a spatula
7. Sprinkle some more sliced almonds on top of it and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
8. Cut into diamond shapes and serve.
Lauki ki Burfi
- Lauki (Bootle gourd) – ½ kg
- Sugar 100 gms
- Ghee 50 gms
- Khoya 100 gms
- Milk powder 50 gms
- Cardamom powder ½ tspn
- Almonds 10 nos
- Raisins – 10 nos
- Pistachio – 6 nos
1. Peel lauki , remove the core to avoid large seeds and grate using medium size grater .
2. Press the grated lauki gently to remove all the extra water.
3. Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan and add the grated lauki
4. Stir fry on a medium heat till the moisture evaporates and the lauki gets roasted.
5. Now add sugar and fry it on a high flame till all the water evaporates and keep stirring to avoid the mixture from burning
6. Add dry milk powder and grated khoya and mix well
7. Cook it for 3 more minutes and add the remaining ghee.
8. Now add the cardamom powder and cook it further for 5 minutes.
9. Once the mixture is thick put it in a greased tray and allow to cool
10. Shape it into balls with the palm of your hand
11. Place them in paper cups and garnish with almond, raisins and chopped pistachios.
Sama Ke Chawal Ki Kheer
- Samvat rice (Barnyard millet)– 60gms
- Chopped almonds – 12 nos
- Kishmish 1 tbsp.
- Sugar – 5 tbspn
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp.
- Saffron strands – 7 to 9
1. Soak samvat rice for one hour in water
2. Later drain water and keep aside
3. Heat milk in a thick bottomed pan on a slow fire
4. Add samvat rice to the milk , cover lid and allow the rice to cook on a slow fire
5. Keep stirring so that the bottom does not get burnt.
6. Cook for about 20 minutes till it is cooked
7. Add sugar and stir well till it dissolves
8. Add cardamom powder and saffron strands (mixed in warm milk and kept); alternatively you can use rose water if saffron is not available.
9. Finally add almonds and raisins and cook further for 5 minutes.
10. Remove from fire and allow to cool
11. Serve chilled in individual bowls garnished with almonds chopped, saffron strands or rose petals.
(Chef Sudhir Pai is a well-known name in the hospitality industry. He has won awards and recognition for his contribution to the Indian culinary scene He has been associated with some of the big brands like Holiday Inn Mumbai an IHG Hotel, Oberoi Towers Mumbai, Leela Penta Mumbai, Orchid Hotel, Sarovar Plaza, Metropolitan Hotel Dubai, Sahara Hotel Riyadh, RCCL Cruise Lines Miami Holiday Inn,etc. Currently, he is a freelance Chef & F&B consultant.